A leaky sink? A pipe that loose? Do not panic! Today, the best plumbers in Montreal, Laval and the West Island are sharing some tips to handle the situation in case of a leak until help comes:
- Close the main valve to block the water intake in your home. This will prevent the leak to get worse, if the pipe is damaged but there is no water that passes through it, there is nothing to fear.
- Place a bucket under the leak. Indeed, even if you turn off the water supply, it is possible that the leaks continues, but relax, it is only because some water remained trapped in the pipes when closing the valve.
- If you find a hole, fill it with a pencil while waiting to move to the next step to give first aid to your pipe in case of trouble.
- Dry the damaged pipe as much as possible and wrap it with a thin layer of electrical tape in full of 3 to 6 inches on each side of the hole. The idea is to smooth the surface to move on.
- Cut a piece of garden hose lengthwise. Once you’ve done it, apply the solid color against the leak and fix it that way. We have here the same principle as a patch for bicycle tires: plugging the hole to keep waiting!
- Finally, replace the damaged pipe as soon as possible. This little DIY might not last long. For your own safety, it is advisable not to wait too long to change the damaged area.
Now you’re ready to face the leaks! Remember that nothing is better than the work of a professional so if you need some professional in case of an emergency, you know you can count on Beaver Plumbing & Heating!